We want to say thank you for booking your Fiji vacation with us at Vale Sekoula. We are looking forward to your stay here on Taveuni Island. You probably have already learned so much about our place and the island of Taveuni from the websites, but we want to remind you to check out our FAQ page. If you have any questions that are not answered there, feel free to message us in the apps, email us, or text my wife and I at 1.714.313.4449. As a new visitor to our home and the island, we are including the following check-in instructions and house rules to provide you and your family helpful pointers for your comfort and safety:
1) UPON ARRIVAL by plane, our caretakers Vinna or Robert will meet you at the Matei runway. The house is just a 2 minute walk down the road, directly across the street from the airport on the ocean. If you have a lot of luggage or scuba gear, we can arrange for a taxi to take care of that for you just give us a notice before arriving. We should already have your flight date and times. If there is anything our caretaker has missed or you need anything at all, please reach out so we can help solve any issues that might arise. We are here to help make your vacation the best possible. Everyone on the Island knows Vale Sekoula House. It is known as The Christmas Tree of Fiji and it's in the front yard. It is bright red Oct-Dec.
2) CARETAKERS Vinna and Robert, live just down the road, they are at your service to help with anything you need. Upon arrival, they will show you the house and hand you the keys. They will give you a tour of the house as well as their contact info when you arrive.
3) CHECK-IN AND CHECK-OUT times can vary based on your flight times. We can be flexible if we don't have guests on the same day. We can help accommodate your schedule to keep you comfortable and stress free! Normal check-in time is 4pm, and normal checkout time is 11am. Please let us know your flight arrival and departure if you have not already.
We can also hold your luggage at the house if your flight time is after the checkout time.
Many of our guests hang out at one of the local restaurants on the water when waiting for their plane to arrive.
4) NO OUTSIDE GUESTS- We do not allow outside guests to stay, visit or swim at the house. Only the registered number of guests may stay, visit or swim at Vale Sekoula. Unless special permission has been give, all extra guests over the amount of the registered number of guests will be charged $200FJ per person per day.
5) GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY-
-Quiet Hours- 10pm-8am. Please turn off all music and lower your voices during quiet hours. City of Matei "Good Neighbor Policy"
-Do not exceed number of registered guests
-No amplified music 24/7, no music to be heard beyond the property 24/7
-Noisy outdoor activities prohibited after 10pm
-Fines, The minimum fine for violating the rules stated previously is a $1000FJ per violation. Eviction- Unruly guests who blatantly disregard the rules will be evicted without a refund.
6) HOUSE ELECTRICAL POWER is 240volts (the same as Australia and New Zealand). If you are visiting from the USA, we should have enough converters to meet your needs. The power for our home is supplied by solar with batteries and a generator. If you leave the house during the day, please turn off all lights and fans to help us to conserve resources. And while at the house, please only operate fans and lights in rooms that are occupied. There are also bedside fans for you to use at night if you like. Be mindful of not running every appliance at the same time. Example, don't run microwave, electric hot water kettle and laundry at the same time. Power could go out. Please call Robert to reset breakers if this happens. Here is a link to get familiar with fiji outlets. https://www.worldtravelplugadapter.com/fiji/.
7) Drinking Water- Please allow 2-3 minutes for the hot water to travel from one side of the house to the other when turning on the bathroom shower. Hot water is also on Fiji Time, but unlimited.
You might ask if the tap water at the house safe to drink?
Yes and No. It is safe and treated, but when you are traveling, some stomachs are not use to it and can have issues. We now offer 2 water filter pitchers by Lifestraw located in our refrigerator. Lifestraw pitchers are easy to use, just like a Brita filter, just keep filling them up at the tap and keep in frig. They eliminate any bacteria or contamination in the tap water. For cooking, coffee or tea, you can boil the water if you like in our quick electric water kettle. Our family drinks the tap water and have not had an issue but the lifestraw pitcher give us confidence in drinking tap water.
8) GENERATORS- Most homes and hotels in Fiji run generators a few hours a day. Our home generator is a good distance from the house, so your probably won't hear it.
9) KAYAKING and PADDLEBOARDS are available at the house and free to use. Please be careful launching the kayaks from the deck/stairs, if its wet, it is slippery!!!!! Please do not drag kayaks. If needed Robert can launch them for you. Only launch them into the ocean during higher tides. Don't leave kayaks on the shore, they may float away. Only use the kayaks between 2 hours before high tide and no later then 2 hours after high tide. This is to avoid getting stuck out on the shallow reef. The water is shallow in many places on lower tide and there is risk damaging the bottom of the kayaks on rocks and hurting the coral, the reefs or your feet. Example: If high tide for today is at 9am, only kayak between 7am to 11am. This is 2 hours before and after high tide! See daily Tide Chart- https://www.seatemperatu.re/oceania/fiji/taveuni-island/tides.html
WARNING! Do not paddle out on windy days, it can be hard to get back to the house. Please take a life jacket and use it. There are a few islands to visit offshore, Famous Honeymoon Island, the 3rd island, has a beach on the right side with amazing snorkeling on both sides of this island. (25 min paddle) If you don't want to paddle, You can hire the boat with Vinna and Robert to pick you up and drop you off. Approx. $60+FJ dollars round trip up to 6 people. Vinna will even pack you a picnic lunch with advance notice. Approx $10-$15FJ per person. Ask Vinna the menu options the day before! Please keep an eye on the weather and the currents! You can check wind and tide times on website links in the guest book located on the kitchen counter. Please be aware of the high and low tide times for each day. The paddleboards should be used by those who have experience.
Kayaks are locked up, Robert will show you the hidden key upon arrival.
10) SNORKEL GEAR is available at the house and free to use. Located in the large cabinet next to the TV you will find snorkels/masks and lifejackets. Snorkel Fins are in black bins. We only offer a few sets and the fit is not always guaranteed. You might consider bringing your own. When finished using them, please rinse the snorkel, masks and fins in the fresh-water outdoor shower by the pool and allow them to air-dry before putting them away. Our favorite spot to snorkel is the 3rd & 4th island. Takes 25-30 minutes. Pull kayaks up on the beach at island number 3! Be careful not to let your kayak drift away. Snorkel the entire island, but keep an eye on the currents and wind. Reef Shoes are nice to have, but old sneakers can work good for hiking around rocky shorelines. Snorkel visibility is not good from the backyard, snorkel is the best further out closer to the 4 islands you see in the distance. You can also hire Robert to take you by boat.
11) LOCAL TRANSPORTATION is best using a taxi. We use Aloha Taveuni Taxi or Vinna and Robert the caretakers will use their vehicle. The Taxi service is very convenient. Most likely, Robert, Vinna, Aggie or Samir will be your dedicated driver and guide. They know everything to do and everywhere to go. They will assist in getting you out to all the waterfalls and sites, as well as shopping and restaurants. Taxi drivers also give you great information about the area. They usually wait for you to shop or hike. We normally text or call them when finished at any restaurant. Here are some approx rates to prepare you:
Approx rates for a Family of 2-4 people. 5-8 people plan approx $20FJ more.
-Round Trip from the house to Tramonto's Restaurant- $15 FJ
-Round Trip 1/2 day Shopping Trip- $100 FJ
-Round Trip 1/2 day Bouma Falls- $140 FJ
-Round Trip from house to The Dive Cafe- $15 FJ
-Round Trip 1/2 day Shopping and WaterSlides- $120 FJ
-Round Tip Full Day Levena Coastal Walk- $180 FJ
Total $570 FJ or roughly $285 US Dollars. This was our Taxi Fees for the week.
Prices subject to change based on current gas prices.
EMAIL: SAMIR AND AGGIE from Aloha Tours- firstname.lastname@example.org
Call: +679 9028375. +679 9732547
tell them you are guests of Tony and Katie at Vale Sekoula.
12) FOOD AND BEVERAGE Our kitchen does have a drip coffee pot and a small expresso machine. If you are a coffee lover, we suggest bringing your own coffee! The locals don't really drink it and the stores do not carry ground coffee or coffee beans. Only Instant coffee.
You can get coffee and Lattes at most restaurants. The Kitchen does have a coffee bean grinder. We do like morning coffee at The Dive Cafe or order a latte to go at coconut grove 2 doors down.
There are food items available for purchase at a nearby convenience stores. Satish convenience store is very small but a 5 minute walk. There is the Sun City grocery store just a little further down the road and has most items to meet your needs. Sun City is a 12-minute walk. (make a left when exiting our gate) Larger grocery stores are 20 minute taxi drive into the main town. The Property fruit trees such as our house Pineapples, coconuts and Mangos grow each season, Do not pick without asking Vinna which ones are ready to harvest. She can pick a few for you that are ready for you to enjoy. If you crave a certain fruit ask Vinna and she can normally get you some down the road. Don't forget to check out our new ice cream stand down the street!! Fun afternoon walk to taste island made ice cream.
13) FIJI MONEY- Taveuni takes Fiji dollars. Some places will take credit card but may charge a 3% fee. Don't rely on credit cards. We recommend exchanging money into fiji dollars at Nadi airport. You can get Fiji dollars at our Bank in Somosomo on Taveuni, 25 minute taxi ride. Check bank hours. Here is a current exchange rate website:
Vale Sekoula does offer one in-room safe for your convenience, just like hotels offer.
14) HOME COOKED MEALS by our caretaker are amazing! Just reserve in advance with Vinna, she will tell you what's on the menu and current pricing in Fiji Dollars. Dinner for 4 can range from $15FJ-$30FJ per person. 2022 prices. The Refrigerator is not stocked, but Vinna does include a few bottles of Fiji water for when you arrive. Vinna does use the very lower freezer box for her weekly meats and fresh caught fish. If you request a meal from Vinna, she sometimes needs to use these items from the very bottom freezer.
15) LOCAL RESTAURANTS are available nearby. The Dive Café and Coconut Grove have great food, as well as Tramonto's which has an amazing sunset view! (Go at Sunset)
We recommend you make reservations the day before for your meals at Tramontos and Coconut Grove. Use our phone in the kitchen to call local places. One of my favorite things to do if you like to walk in the mornings, is to head out the front gate, turn right. walk 15-20 minutes to The Dive Cafe for Coffee or Latte or breakfast, Get a taxi back if you like! The views are the best! Coconut Grove is a 2 minute walk 3 doors down, make a left when you leave our gate. They can also do take-out! Tramonto's is a 25 minute walk. or call the taxi!
Tramono's and The Dive Cafe are the best for sunsets!
16) FIJI DANCERS AND MUSIC can be arranged to perform at the house! Reservations are a must! Vinna will help you get this scheduled. Ask her about the price, which is very reasonable. There is also a great Lovo dinner, dance and kava ceremony at The Dive Cafe on Wednesday evenings! Make reservations a few days in-advance.
17) LOVO DINNERS for families are a fun way to enjoy an authentic Fijian style feast. Vinna can arrange this for you. Check with her on pricing.
18) SWIMMING POOL is open 24 hours a day! Use caution and supervise your children at all times because the pool has no safety gate. Additionally, use caution on the pool steps. The last step down is a longer drop than the others and it will catch you by surprise! We also have a great outdoor shower next to the pool. Please understand that our pool is the only one in Matei area, local families and local kids are not permitted to swim in the pool unless Vinna or Tony give written permission! Only the registered paid guests can use the pool.
Don't forget to ask Vinna about booking a pool side massage, you will love it. The tile can be slippery when wet. Quiet hours 10pm-8am!!!! Turn all music off during quiet hours and keep voices down for the neighbors.
19) LAUNDRY & HOUSE KEEPING is available with the washing machine in the laundry room. Vinna can help and will do your laundry if you ask. Most of Fiji does not use dryers, so everything must be dried on the clothesline. It is normal to see towels or sheets on a clothes line in Fiji. Vinna stops by when you are on an adventure and will cleanup and make your beds. She will wash anything you like. Please request daily house keeping with her when you arrive, she will also respect your privacy when needed, just let her know.
20) HEAT AND SUN- Yes you are on a tropical island, please drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. Ceiling fans and floor fans work well at night. Just remember to turn them off when you leave the room or leave the house. Reminder most homes on Taveuni do not have air conditioning. We have a refreshing pool, fans and an ocean breeze.
21) BUGS?- Matei does not have too many, depending on the time of year, but really only a few. Insect repellent can be helpful for evenings/mornings or hiking in the jungle waterfall areas. We like to spray below the knees and our ankles in the mornings and evenings. To avoid bugs indoors, please close all doors around sunset time. Vinna can also give you coils to burn on the back deck if sitting out in the evenings. Vinna does keep some bug spray in the house, but if you run low or run out, ask Vinna for more. We do offer bug nets for the beds, but you probably won't need them, unless you leave the back doors open at night! If you want the bug net to sleep under, let Vinna and Robert know, they can put it up.
22) LIZARDS AND OTHER CRITTERS are local residents in this tropical environment. You may encounter some of them in and around the house. It is possible you could see a spider or a Gecko Lizard. They are no harm, but we ask to store all your food away (sealed) in the upper kitchen cabinets or refrigerator to not attract them into the house. Don’t leave any food items out on the patio or anywhere in the house. If food is left out, or you leave dirty dishes, the ants will come marching. Use the food containers above the frig. Ask Vinna to spray if you see ants or a bug problem. We do have extra ant spray in the laundry room if needed.
23) RAINFALL is usually a daily occurrence. Sometimes there are sudden and short-lived cloudbursts and frequently have steady rain showers. We have umbrellas available near the front entry for your convenience, to take with you on your adventure. Sometimes we have wind and rain! Please shut the glass windows on east side of the house to avoid wet floors inside the house. (The east side windows are next to the dinning table and kitchen stove wall as well as the garden bedroom). We also provide a few walking sticks for your trip to The Lavena Coastal Walk! Please return them when finished.
24) DOMESTICATED ANIMALS are “free range” in Fiji, so you may encounter a friendly dog, a cat, and even a chicken. Some animals just wander around. Our home does not have any animals, but one might show up! The neighbor dog could pay a visit. They are friendly and trained to not go inside the house. If you want her to stick around, keep petting her! (do not feed them)
25) SAFETY PRECAUTIONS for you to be aware of: The bathrooms and laundry room floor are 1 inch lower than the main house floor. Many floors are done like this for draining reasons. So, as you walk into the bathrooms be prepared for the dip, and when exiting these rooms be careful not to stub your toes or trip! Our floor mats do help. Fire extinguisher and first aid kit are by the front door entrance. BBQ is in the front of the house. Please roll it out away from the house before cooking. Most of our doors can slam shut by the wind, most interior doors we use the rock door stoppers to avoid load door slamming. Most exterior doors have either back hooks to keep them open or rock door stoppers. During the day we like to keep both double patio doors open for some very nice airflow off the ocean.
26) INTERNET AND TV are available. There is a Smart TV in the living room. Vinna will share the internet password with you and will show you the TV remote. We are in a rural setting, so be patient if the internet or even your phone signal drops. It is a normal occurrence on Taveuni. Overall we have great internet. I recommend calling your cell phone provider and telling them you will be in Fiji and would like to know the plan they have so you don't have unexpected charges.
27) MUST DO- FISHING, DIVING, HIKING, TOURS and more...
During your stay Vinna and Robert can arrange any activity you like. If you like adventure- Rock water slides, 30 minute Drive. Lavena Coastal walk and waterfalls- 1 hour drive, then hike 1.5 hours on the coast to a swim up to an amazing waterfall! Bring hiking stick! Request a boat ride back, or hike another 1.5 hours back! Bouma Falls, 35 minute drive, plan on swimming in the falls! First waterfall is an easy 10 minute beautiful hike. 2nd and 3rd waterfalls if your in good shape! Bouma falls and Lavena Coastal Walk cost a little money to visit, Around $35FJ per person. all money supports their local village. Don't forget to Snorkel or scuba dive rainbow reef and the famous white wall. Our Favorite Dive Shops: The Salt Diver- www.saltdiverfiji.com
and Taveuni Ocean Sports- www.taveunioceansports.com.
I recommend a fishing adventure! Get picked up by boat from the backyard and reel in a fish of a lifetime. We do offer a 7 passenger boat for hire with fishing gear. Talk with Robert and Vinna when you arrive. Another great fishing boat is Makaira Sports Fishing- This is a much larger boat to get you on some big off shore fish. Email them email@example.com Tell them Tony from Vale Sekoula sent you!
If you like guided tours, Robert does great guided tours of any of the falls and can include packed lunches, boat rides and snorkel tours.
28) RELAX and enjoy the views and the people! Vinna and your tour guides will ensure that you get the most out of your visit. If you want to do all the best and see all the best in Taveuni, just let them know and they will do their best to fulfill that desire.
29) CHECKOUT- The day before you leave, let Vinna or Robert know your flight time.
I also recommend walking over to the runway the morning of and let the airport know your flight time and tell them you are staying at Vale Sekoula. Check-in 1 hour before flight!
30) Vinna and Robert will be your hosts the duration of your vacation. They will provide you with their phone numbers and they live just minutes down the road. You can also text me if you needed anything at all. 1-714-313-4449. Relax and enjoy your vacation at Vale Sekoula.
Tony and Katie
Essentials, Cleaning products, Cooking basics, Dishes and silverware, Hair dryer, Kitchen, Pool, SmartTV, Washer, Wifi, Body soap, Hot water, Shampoo, Bed linens, Bath towels, Pool towels, Clothing storage, Hangers, Iron, Mosquito nets, Babysitter recommendations, CribPack ’n play/Travel crib, In-room Safe, Ceiling fans, Portable fans, Carbon monoxide alarm, Fire extinguisher, First aid kit, Smoke alarm, Baking sheets, Barbecue, utensils, Coffee maker, Dining table, Freezer, Hot water kettle, Ice Tea Pitcher, Microwave, Oven, Refrigerator, Rice maker, Stove, Toaster, Wine glasses, Beach access, Private entrance, Waterfront, BBQ grill, Beach essentials, Kayaks, Paddleboards, Outdoor dining area, Over-water Deck, Outdoor furniture, Outdoor Shower, Patio, Sun loungers, Free parking on premises, Single level home, Luggage dropoff allowed, Taxi services available, Activity coordinator available, Meals available upon request$, Restaurants near by, Convenience Stores and Groceries near by. Some Snorkel gear available on-site, Hiking Sticks, Umbrellas, 2 double person kayaks, 2 paddleboards. 8 Passanger Boat for Hire.